This policy is intended to inform you how we at The Ebell of Los Angeles., a California corporation, (hereinafter “EbellofLA” or “we/us/our”) collect and use information provided by visitors to our website (located at www.Ebellofla.org, hereinafter, our “Website”), by people who register at our Website, by students who enroll in one or more of our courses, by anyone who purchases any of our products or services, and by individuals who communicate with our Website via e-mail or otherwise (collectively, “you/your”).
Collection of Information
We may collect and process your personal data in the following circumstances:
- when you become a Member of our organization
- when you sign up / register for an account with us
- when you sign up for our newsletter (by entering your e-mail address)
- when you order any products or services from us
- when you donate to our organization
- when you contact us via e-mail or otherwise
- when you apply for grants or scholarships
- when you enter any contests we may hold
- when you complete any surveys we may conduct
- when you visit our Website (via cookies or otherwise)
Not all of the information we collect may be personally identifiable. We do, however, track and record user sessions to improve the site experience for our users and to allow for easier log-ins and better user experiences.
Our Website and the materials and services provided through our Website are not intended for children or those under the age of 16. If someone under the age of 16 wishes to use our Website, that individual is responsible for obtaining the consent from that individual’s parents or legal guardians.
Storage of Information
When registering for our services or joining our organization as a member through our Website, you will create a User Name and Password. We recommend that you use a password that is difficult for others to guess (e.g., don’t use “Password” as your password), and change your password often, especially if you believe that your own information storage systems (your computers or mobile devices) have been compromised. We urge you to keep your password in a safe place and do not share it with others. We are not responsible for activity that results from your failure to choose a secure password or to safeguard that password from others. Whenever you finish any session on our Website, you should ensure that you have logged out of that session, especially if you are using public computers (such as in libraries or internet cafes).
In the event that we discover that any of the information that you provided to us has been compromised or otherwise disclosed to unauthorized third parties, we will notify you of that event via the e-mail address that you provided to us. You agree that we may use the e-mail address that you provided to us to send such a notice to you. It is your responsibility to keep us informed of an appropriate and up-to-date e-mail address for you. If you would prefer that we use an alternative notification means, please contact us via our Website.
Use of Information
We use information that we gather from you in the following ways:
- To provide products and services through our Website and at our venue
- To deliver information to you about the products, services and events provided through our Website and at our venue
- To fulfill our contractual obligations to you as part of any transaction or order involving our products, services and/or events
- To contact you about our products, services, events and Website
- In additional manners that we may describe to you when you provide information to us or when we notify you about new uses of information provided by you
By visiting our website, providing us your e-mail address, signing up for our newsletter, registering for an account, becoming a member of our organization, ordering products or services from us or otherwise providing your personal information to us, as set forth above (under Collection of Information), you are consenting to receiving communications from us regarding our services and materials. You may opt out of receiving these communications at any time by following the instructions set forth in those communications or by emailing us at Ebell@ebellofla.org
Sharing of Information
- We use a third-party vendor to help us communicate with you via e-mail. Our current vendor is Mail Chimp. A description of Mail Chimp’s services may be found at MailChimp.com. We will notify you in the event we change our communications vendor.
- We transmit credit card and other payment data through the appropriate credit card company and/or credit card payment processing company or financial institutions to confirm payment for products or services purchased through our Website.
- If necessary for the provision of our services, we may disclose information (such as name and contact information) to providers of our services.
- We will disclose information gathered from you or provided by you if we are required to do so by law or legal process, or to cooperate with a law enforcement investigation, or if we need to do so to protect our rights, reputation, property, or the safety or us or others, or to defend or enforce our rights or your obligations.
- We will disclose information to third parties with your prior consent.
Deleting of Information
You may ask us to delete some or all of the information you shared with us, provided, however, that we are not required to maintain that information as part of any commercial transaction or contract entered into between us. For example, we may need to maintain records of credit card transactions or products or services purchased by you from us for a period of time in the event any dispute or other occasion arises whereby that information may be required by third-parties or government entities.
You may request that we delete information provided by you to us by emailing us at Ebell@ebellofla.org
If you believe that we have inaccurate or incomplete information about you, you may request an update to your information my emailing us at Ebell@ebellofla.org
You may request that we limit the use of your information to only that information required for us to conduct any transactions in which you engage with us. For example, you may request that we discontinue sending e-mails or newsletters to you about upcoming events or other information regarding our products and services. You may opt-out from these communications by emailing us at Ebell@ebellofla.org as well as following the instructions on the communications themselves.
Unless you request that we delete information provided by you, we will maintain that information for a reasonable period of time in the event that you choose, in the future, to purchase additional products or services. For example, you may attend one of our events, and not find an additional event to be of interest to you at present; however, we may hold an event in the future for which you may wish to purchase tickets. By maintaining your information, we make the purchasing process easier, as well as allowing us to provide a history to you of events for which you previously purchased tickets.
To maintain the integrity of our Website and the information you provide to us, we may copy that information to a secondary information storage device (AKA back-up). In the event that you request that we delete your information, we will also delete it from our back-up data storage to the extent that it is commercially reasonable to do so. Nevertheless, we do not access our back-up storage except under circumstances where data from our primary storage has been compromised (such as may occur during power surges or other situations where our primary storage may be damaged).
Cookies and Information
Disputes involving Information
Any Disputes shall be resolved by binding arbitration before a single arbitrator in accordance with the then-existing rules of the California Lawyers for the Arts, Arts Arbitration and Mediation Service. (See: https://www.calawyersforthearts.org/arts-arbitration–mediation-services.html. In the event that such arbitration service is no longer operating, then the Arbitration service of the American Arbitration Association shall substitute. Venue for any such dispute shall be the County of Los Angeles and California laws shall apply.
You further agree that this dispute resolution mechanism shall be your sole means to seek a remedy for any Dispute and that you will not engage in any class action or other collective action regarding any Dispute you may have with us. You understand that by voluntarily providing information to us, by using our Website or by otherwise engaging in any transaction with us involving our products or services, that you are waiving any rights to a trial by jury or to join any collective or class action litigation involving any Dispute.
Contacting Us regarding Information
You may contact us at any time regarding your personal data and information by using the form provided through a link at the bottom of our Website (under “Contact”).