The Ebell of Los Angeles is actively seeking papers from scholars and students for its inaugural annual symposium as a part of the larger historical research initiative encompassed by The Ebell Institute for the Study of Women’s History in LA (TEI). The symposium will spotlight the untold stories of remarkable Los Angeles women whose contributions have been omitted from history books and ignored in public spheres. TEI is founded on the idea that “one cannot be what one cannot see” and therefore seeks to develop public knowledge of both historical Los Angeles women who built the city as we know it today, as well as modern scholars and artists who are trailblazing in their respective fields.
The Ebell seeks papers that centrally address the symposium’s theme, considered broadly. We encourage papers that advance discussions of diversity, inclusivity, and intersectionality in Los Angeles women’s history, including but not limited to the following interest areas:
- The role of women in territorial Los Angeles through history in economic, cultural, and political spheres, with a particular focus on indigenous women and women’s history.
- The intersection of race, ethnicity, sexuality, socioeconomic status, and immigration status with gender in the specific context of Los Angeles women’s history.
- Notable historical and modern Los Angeles women innovators in business and industry whose contributions have shaped Los Angeles and the wider economic landscape.
- Specific industries, sectors, styles, or movements pioneered by women in Los Angeles.
- The historical and modern women artists entrepreneurs who built Hollywood and stand on the forefront of avant-garde filmmaking and technique.
The Ebell of LA invites submissions from LA-based scholars, graduate, and undergraduate students. Abstracts of no more than 250 words (with your name and affiliation) should be submitted by the extended deadline of February 28 by EOD through the application button below.
You may submit a CV as well, though it is optional.
Date: Wednesday, March 27, 2024
Time: 10:00 am to 4:15 pm
Location: The Ebell of Los Angeles, 741 S. Lucerne Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90005
If you have specific questions, please email sika@EbellofLA.org. We expect to notify prospective participants by March 8, 2024.