Ebell/Flint Scholarship FAQ



Q: I have U.S. permanent residency status/a green card; can I apply for a scholarship?
A: YES, U.S. Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) are eligible to apply.

Q: I’m from out-of-state and attending college in LA County.  Am I eligible for a scholarship?
A: It depends. Ebell Scholars must be permanent residents of LA County. If you or your parents are paying “out-of-state” tuition, you are not eligible.  If your parent(s) does not reside in LA County and claims you as a dependent on their tax returns, you are not eligible. You might qualify if you are financially independent and have lived in LA County for at least 366 continuous days at time of application.  These cases are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Q: I grew up in another California county and have moved to LA County to attend school.  Am I eligible?
A: It depends. Ebell Scholars must be permanent residents of LA County.  If your parent(s) does not reside in LA County and claims you as a dependent on their tax returns, you are not eligible. You might qualify if you are financially independent and have lived in LA County for at least 366 continuous days at time of application.  These cases are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.


Full-Time Status

Q: I work full-time and am enrolled in a weekend undergraduate program. Can I apply?
A: Students must be enrolled in a full-time program to receive a scholarship. Clarify your status with your institution and provide documentation of full-time status in the application.

Q: I have a learning or other disability/health issue and take fewer than the required number of units each semester/term stipulated in your Terms and Conditions. Do I qualify?
A: Numerous educational institutions provide definitions of full-time status for students with disabilities. Clarify your status with your institution and provide documentation of full-time status in the application.

Q: What does full-time status mean for applicants?
A: You must be currently enrolled as a full-time student when you apply for the Ebell/Flint Scholarship, and you will have completed 24 units if on the semester system or 36 units if on the quarter system, for your school’s current academic year.

If you are currently a part-time student or returning student, we encourage you to apply when you become a full-time student.


Transfer Students

Q: Can I apply for a scholarship if I am transferring from a two-year community college but am waiting to see which college in Los Angeles County will accept me?
A: We often have transfer students apply for Ebell/Flint Scholarships whose acceptance at a four-year university or college is still pending at the time of application. On your application indicate which colleges in Los Angeles County you have applied to for transfer. You need to advise us once you have been accepted to the four-year institution. Proof of your acceptance and your new financial aid award letter are required.

Q: I am attending a community college and have been accepted to several four-year universities. I have not heard from my #1 transfer choice which is in LA County. What financial aid information should I submit?
A: When you receive the acceptance letter from your transfer choice, please forward the acceptance letter, along with the Cost of Attendance and your financial award letter immediately to the Scholarship Program.  Your application will not be considered complete without this information and must be received by June 10, 2024.

Q: As a transfer student, do I need to provide my official transcript from the community college I attended as well as the transcript from my current institution?
A: YES, we need official transcripts from all colleges/universities that you have attended.


Accreditation and Non-profit status

Q: How do I know if my school is WASC or ACCJC accredited and whether the school is non-profit?
A: WASC stands for Western Association of Schools and Colleges. ACCJC stands for Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges.  If you attend a 4-year college or university, use this link to check your school’s accreditation and non-profit status:  https://www.wscuc.org/directory/

If you attend a community or junior college, use this link to check it’s accreditation and  non-profit status: https://accjc.org/find-an-institution/

NOTE: ACCJC is a division of WASC.

Q: Can I apply if I am attending a Los Angeles satellite campus of a college or university based out of state?
A: No, courses from a satellite college or university that is based out of state do not meet our eligibility requirements.


Returning Students with a BA Degree

Q: I have a Bachelor’s degree that I received years ago and now am returning to school for an undergraduate degree in another field. Can I apply?
A: NO, we do not fund applicants who already have a 4-year undergraduate Bachelor’s degree.


Online Degree or Coursework

Q: I’m getting my BA degree through an accredited online university. Can I apply?
A: NO, a program of study toward a degree that is only online would not meet eligibility requirements.

Q: Are online courses accepted from a different institution than the one I am attending?
A: If your school accepts online coursework from another institution towards your degree, the online courses will be accepted.



Application Deadline and Process

Q: What is the application deadline?
A: The application deadline is Wednesday, May 15, 2024. 

Q: How do I submit my application?
A: All applications must be submitted via the Scholarship Application portal which is accessible via the Application Criteria page. Be sure to review the Terms and Conditions to confirm you fulfill each of the required qualifications.


Application Questions:

Q:  Should I include work study on my application?
A:  Yes, under the Work Experience section of your application please list your work study.

Q:  My degree requires that I complete a practicum.  Should l list this under Community Service/Extracurricular activities on my application?
A:  No, we consider practicums when evaluating your academics.  Please list required practicums which you are currently taking (or which you took last year) when discussing your career preparation in Essay Question #1.

Q:  How does the Ebell define Community Service/Extracurricular and Leadership?
A:  Community service includes direct service work and/or advocacy work to affect positive change.  Service areas include but are not limited to your neighborhood, religious, environmental, education or social service organizations as well as cultural institutions. 

Extracurricular activities include activities that are not required for school credit and are undertaken outside of academic school hours.  This may include required help with siblings or other family members. Other examples include participation on a school team, club or student government.

Leadership involves increased responsibility, problem solving, initiating, planning, delegating, representing or oversight of a project, event, or people. It does not necessarily require a named position (e.g. President).

Q: How will I be evaluated?
A: In evaluating scholarship applicants, The Ebell places weight on three criteria:
1) Academic achievement (cumulative GPA)
2) Financial Need (FAFSA Submission Summary, Cost of Attendance,  Financial Aid Award Letter).
3) Character (Written Application, Recommendation Letters, and Interview).



Q: Can my transcript be submitted after the deadline?
A: NO, all documents must be uploaded into the application by May 15, 2024.

Q: Can my school submit my transcript directly to The Ebell?
A: NO, we are requiring the applicant obtain the official transcript from the school, upload the pdf into their application file, and enter their cumulative GPA in the record.

Q: There is a hold on my school account from unpaid tuition. The registrar won’t release my official transcript until at least part of the outstanding balance is paid. My application is complete other than my official transcript.  Can I submit an unofficial transcript now with my application and submit an official one as soon as I can?
A: Occasionally applicants submit an unofficial transcript as a placeholder for the official transcript. However, the Scholarship committee will not review the application until the official transcript is received. Official transcripts must be uploaded as soon as possible.


Financial Documents:

Is the FAFSA Submission Summary the same as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
A:  No, the FAFSA Submission Summary summarizes the information you reported on your FAFSA as well as your eligibility for student loans, your Student Aid Index (SAI) and whether you have been selected for verification.  It replaces the Student Aid Report (SAR) in 2024 and is available online and on paper.

Q:  Where do I find the Cost of Attendance (COA) for my school?
A:  The Cost of Attendance can be found on your school website.  It varies depending on your housing situation (e.g. on campus, commuter student etc.)  Sometimes a school will include the COA on your Financial Aid Award letter.  Be sure to send us the COA that matches with your housing situation.

Q:  What is the Financial Aid Award Letter?
A:  The Financial Aid Award letter spells out the details of your financial aid package.  Because of processing delays with the new 2024/25 FAFSA, students may not receive notification of their financial aid packages until April or May 2024. Please submit this as soon as you receive it. Your application is not considered complete without it.


Letters of Recommendation: 

Q: Am I limited to 3 letters of recommendation?
A: YES, 3 letters of recommendation are the maximum.



Q: What if I take a semester off from school?
A: Deferments of the Ebell Scholarship for health, military or other personal reasons may be considered on a case-by-case basis until a student returns to full-time status.

Q: Can international students apply?
A: NO, applicants must meet US citizenship/Permanent Resident status and LA County permanent residency requirements.

Q: Can high school students apply for funding when they start college/university?
A: NO, applicants must be at least a college freshman when they apply.

Q: Can I apply for the Ebell Scholarship if I am a college sophomore or junior?
A: YES, college sophomores and juniors may apply.

Q: Does the Ebell fund graduate education?
A: NO, only undergraduate coursework is funded. If you are enrolled in a dual undergraduate/graduate degree program, this might affect your scholarship eligibility. Please contact the Ebell Scholarship office to clarify your situation. 

Q: If I plan to study abroad for one semester, can I maintain my scholarship?
A: YES, as long as your academic institution grants credit for your time away and you continue to meet the Ebell/Flint Scholarship eligibility requirements.

Ebell Scholarship Department

Email: ScholarshipApplication@ebellofla.org
Phone: 323-931-1277
Location: 743 South Lucerne Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90005