Dear Ebell Friend,
Happy 2024! As the New Year kicks off, we cannot help but reflect on the remarkable year we created together. We are filled with immense gratitude for YOU—the entire Ebell community who contributed to the memories, accomplishments, and milestones of 2023.
Here are the highlights of what we accomplished together:
- We hosted 188 public events, from performances and concerts to classes and exhibits to speakers and lectures serving 12,000 community members!
- The Wilshire Ebell Theatre showcased 88 different productions, serving 70,000 theatregoers.
- Over 18,000 people attended 119 special events at The Ebell, from weddings to screenings to corporate events.
- We welcomed over 40 distinguished speakers, including Mayor Karen Bass, Councilmember Katy Yaroslavsky, Ann Patchett, Werner Herzog, Amy Klobuchar, and Susanne Whatley.
- 28 high school students worked paid theatre internships, receiving hands-on instruction in theatre business and operation.
- The Ebell partnered with 56 mission-aligned organizations dedicated to championing arts, culture, and the empowerment of women in Los Angeles.
- The House, Theatre, and Grounds Committee completed Phase II of The Ebell’s Preservation Master Plan— a monumental initiative to seismically retrofit The Ebell and safeguard the campus for generations to come.
- The Ebell/Flint Scholarship program awarded $231,000 in scholarships to college-bound students; 29 Ebell scholars graduated in June, and The Ebell will support 45 scholars in academic year 2023-2024.
- The Rest Cottage Association contributed $157,000 in grant funding to 14 local nonprofit organizations providing compassionate support to women and girls in Los Angeles.
- Ebell membership grew to nearly 600 individuals, all of whom form the bedrock of The Ebell and our initiatives.
Thank you for a remarkable year and for your commitment to inspiring women and building community through arts, culture, education, service, and stewardship. Since 1894, The Ebell has remained a mission-driven institution, and your support is the cornerstone of our success.
Wishing you a joyful New Year filled with the promise of continued creation and community.
With deepest gratitude,
President, Board of Directors